School of Languages – IU VNU-HCM will become a leading research and training institution in applied linguistics, EFL/ESL education, translating & interpreting, and international/intercultural communication in Vietnam and the Southeast Asia region.
– to internationalize the training programs by aligning them with international standards and collaborating with prestigious Western universities in training and research.
– to provide high-quality training programs in the areas of applied linguistics, EFL/ESL education, translating & interpreting, and international/intercultural communication.
– to produce important research findings in the areas of applied linguistics, EFL/ESL education, translating & interpreting, and international/intercultural communication.
Our English Linguistics program is developed to prepare undergraduate students to meet the English needs of global education and professional development. Students are expected to complete 135 credits of courses during four years. Our Intensive English and Academic English programs aim to enhance IU students’ academic success in English-speaking environments at the IU and universities all over the world. We focus on major areas of English language use in academic contexts, such as academic reading, listening to lectures and note-taking skills, techniques for effective academic presentations, academic writing, technical and research writing, and preparation for international standardized tests; for example, the internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT), and the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). We also provide many on-campus services such as Film Club, English Speaking Club, Language Labs, and Writing Center to offer opportunities for English learning and language use.
For more information, prospective students, current undergrads and others can visit our website at http://el.hcmiu.edu.vn.
Upon graduation from the B.A.’s degree program in English Linguistics, students will be ready to work for professional fields, including:
- Government offices, publishing houses, or private companies with specifications in translation, interpretation, editing service, or tourism.
- Research institutions and universities, offices with specializations in English language and applied linguistics.
- High schools, language centers, private classes in companies and factories.
- Domestic and international companies with demand of high quality labor force in the fields of customer service, communication, and foreign relations.
- Careers in international communication which require proficient English speaking and writing skills
Students can continue to further their study and research at universities in the world.
Our research focuses on developing and implementing innovative teaching methods to improve students’ academic preparation for college-level success. Areas of our research interest include:
- Academic Writing Assessment
- Academic Vocabulary Acquisition
- Assessing Spoken Language Performance
- Developing Critical Reading Approaches
- Computer-Assisted Language Learning
- Project-Based Learning
- The Influence of L1 on ESL (English as a Second Language) Acquisition
- Listening and Note-Taking Strategies